Hello and Thank You for the Massachusetts Bernedoodles and Goldendoodles (a.k.a. “MBD”) website!
By way of introduction, my name is Kim Clinton and I am the Sole Proprietor and Founder of Massachusetts Bernedoodles and Goldendoodles, LLC, a women owned and run business. About me? Well, I always wanted to be a veterinarian as a kid so naturally, as a hobby, I chose to breed two of the best breeds (in my biased opinion) Together, with my talented on-site team and loving guardian homes, we are MBD!
Lilac & Willow
Lilac & Willow
Lilac is the Manager of Reproductive Medicine and Willow is her official side-kick! Lilac’s responsibilities are pretty vast at MBD as she is also my second in command! In a nut shell, Lilac’s primary responsibilities include teaching and overseeing. You see, 80% of what we do here can not be learned in a hands on environment, even at the college/DVM level. Large animals such as cows, yes but small animals, no.
Hands-on Small Animal Reproductive Medicine is something I was taught by licensed veterinarians and mentors. I have taught Lilac and now teaches our new team members. In addition, Lilac oversee’s team members, our honeymooners, pregnancies, guardians, puppy development and socialization, postpartum health and of course, our boys. When we have puppies in the nursery, which occurs twice annually, Lilac’s primary role is to make sure everyone stays healthy and happy. Lilac has been the best student to me, paying close attention to every details. She continuously demonstrates commitment and reliability at the highest level, always giving 110% when on the job. Lilac has been a dependable mentor and teacher to new comers for more than 4 years, arguably one of the most important jobs in any company as it impacts everything from the ground up!
Lilac is an incredible person and I am super happy to have her Leading the MBD Team. The MBD team is comprised of students, hard working individuals and volunteers who share our love and passion for dogs and raising the bar for breeders worldwide via transparency, education and wholesome entertainment our VIP 24/7 Live Puppy Cameras!
Comprised of the Most Intelligent, Passionate, Loving, Dedicated Individuals Imaginable, We Pour Our Hearts and Souls into Each and Every Puppy and Dog at MBD. We LOVE every single moment of what we do! We are MBD!
We are Proud to Offer You “The Epic Journey from Birth to Take Homr Day” ….Transparent, Educational and even Entertaining!
The full 8 weeks is yours to enjoy via our Live 24/7 Puppy Cameras and, believe me, you will LOVE it!
Our aim is to be 100% transparent, to provide education about all of the things that go into responsible and ethical dog breeding, when it’s done the right way! Watching these puppies grow, you will also get to know their personalities so by the time you meet them, on “Gotcha Day”, you will already have a good idea of who your top choices are. The miracle of birth to 8 weeks old, which you’ll get to enjoy and learn from, when you decide to adopt from MBD.
We LOVE dogs and have always been committed to being a highly reputable and ethical Professional Dog Breeding business and also to setting the bar high for breeders nationwide. With the 24/7 animal care technicians on site and 24/7 live puppy cams available to clients on the waitlists, you will be able to see everything behind the scenes! All that goes into raising neonate puppies through until “Gotcha Day”. It’s spectacular!
Complete transparency has always been the primary purpose of the 24/7 live puppy cameras. It’s important for you to know that the first eight weeks of your fur-baby’s life was filled with love and enrichment so they can grow into healthy, loving companions. It’s also important to know their parents are treated like the kings and queens they are!
Healthy Parents make Healthy Puppies. It’s that simple.
The cameras help clients in the puppy selection process. You get to observe for 8 full weeks until you choose your puppy. What better way to get to know them while they’re so little? The Live Puppy Cameras are an excellent educational tool for children and adults as they provide education around ethical dog breeding. Puppies don’t just magically appear in the window of a pet store, as many of us thought growing up. In fact, the “doggie in window” likely didn’t come from an ethical breeder. Our Live Puppy Cameras also provide FREE entertainment and they are a healthy addiction, or so I’ve heard!
What Differentiates Massachusetts Bernedoodles from all other Dog Breeders? The simple answer is….A LOT!
- MBD is a small, woman owned, business and our aim is to set the standard for what good breeding practices look like. We train all of our employees in a hands on environment and we are on Handshake, the primary platform for finding college internships! We are proud to have a very diverse company culture and we are truly blessed to live in the USA.
- We value everyone on the team for their strengths and work to develop their areas of opportunity. MBD is a learning institution and we host students from all over the northeast. Together, we are known as the MBD Dream Team!
- All of our dogs are raised in and live in a kennel-free “doggie daycare” type of environment or with our Guardian Homes! They watch TV, have play groups and run around all day in the playrooms with my dedicated team of animal caretakers and guardian homes.
- We work with several veterinarians but our puppy well visit veterinarian is Kelly Wolfenson-Guay DVM. She has been kind enough to act as a mentor to me, for which I am so grateful. Dr. Guay graduated from Tufts University in 1999. She is fantastic at her job and just as dedicated to the quality of care as I am. We are so lucky to have her!
- We believe that if a puppy is born alive, s/he should stay alive. If a puppy develops complications (which thankfully is rare), it doesn’t matter how much it will cost or if it’s the middle of the night. I will 100% do everything in my power to get that puppy well again!
- We have 24/7 care which includes the overnights. I know this is the primary reason why we have such a low mortality rate at 3%. 2.8% of the 3% puppies that don’t make it are unfortunately stillborn which, sadly, happens in life. We are continuously trying to find tools to bring them back to life and we will continue to do so until we are successful. Every little life matters. You can see for yourself on the live cameras!
- Each puppy receives early neurological stimulation beginning on day 3 and continuing until 8 weeks old. A large military study found that puppies who are raised with these exercises are getting a huge head start in becoming happy, confident adult dogs! This website provides more information about the neuro stim exercises https://breedingbetterdogs.com/article/early-neurological-stimulation
- Each puppy undergoes temperament aptitude testing using the Volhard method. This is a great tool we use to help match puppies with the right fit for a family. Here is more information about the Volhard testing https://www.searchdogs.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/Volhard-Puppy-Aptitude-Test.pdf
- The parent dogs go on walks and hikes and live happy doggie lives! Many of the employees bring the parent dogs home for several days at a time for socialization which is key to long term happiness.
- The mom’s have a total of 4 to 5 pregnancies in their life and retire around 4 -4.5 years old from breeding, if there aren’t any complications. They would, however, retire sooner if major complications arise and/or anytime our veterinarians advise this route. When they’re ready to retire, they are spayed, have their teeth cleaned and they are ready to go to their furever homes or remain with their Guardians!
- The standard for breeders, according to the AKC, ranges between 9-12 litters. I wouldn’t want to have more than 4-5 pregnancies in my lifetime so why would they? This is why we limit the number of litters to 4-5 maximum.
- We health test every mother and father dog prior to breeding. This includes OFA or PennHip certifications for their Hips and Elbows and either PawPrint, Embark or GenSol for genetic testing. They must also pass a breeding wellness exam from my licensed veterinarian prior to each pregnancy.
We feel strongly about the way we run our Professional Dog Breeding business because, as most people know, there are a lot of puppy mills and “back yard Breeders” out there. These are not professional dog breeders. The puppy mills are all over the country and they have become “smarter” in recent years because they know most people don’t want a sick puppy from a puppy mill. The puppy mills are are also the ones supplying 3rd party pet stores and websites with their puppies.
However, the sad truth is that they continue to treat their parent dogs terribly by keeping them in crates 23 out of 24 hours in the day. It’s horrific. In these conditions, they are forced to relieve themselves on top of each other and they only come out of their crates for breeding purposes. They neglect their grooming and socialization needs and they usually don’t do any sort of health testing.
Puppy Mills over breed the mom’s until they can no longer have puppies and then they are killed when they can no longer reproduce. It’s SO sad. It’s even legal in some states for these puppy millers to kill their own dog(s). They do this because they don’t want the negative publicity that would come with rehabilitating then re-homing these beautiful creatures, now in horrible condition mentally and physically so they just kill them.
In puppy mills, the dogs are not health tested for common heritable diseases which they pass on to their puppies. They over crowded and are used for the sole purpose of breeding until they can no longer carry a litter. At that point, sadly, many are killed so the public will never see the evidence of horrible dog breeding practices. The puppies aren’t healthy or well socialized, they receive the bare minimum in terms of health care and they will not bring mom to an ER if a postpartum medical emergency happens. Instead, they don’t do anything and the mom passes away. They ship puppies all over the country and most puppies are sick upon arrival or become sick soon thereafter. It’s just sad and it should be illegal. This is where much of the Parvo outbreaks occur as well.
One of our goals is to expose these puppy mills by educating our consumers. The puppies coming from MBD are healthy, happy and well socialized, just like their parents.
We have been, and you should be, very selective when choosing which breeder to adopt your new furbaby from. Puppy mills are now contacting breeders like myself and saying “I have a litter of tri-colored Bernedoodle puppies and will sell them to you for $600 each. Then you can sell them for whatever you want!” The mills know most people don’t want a puppy mill puppy so now they do most of their business through the unethical “in-home” breeders or pet stores who buy from them, as a 3rd party, and then sell these puppies to unsuspecting families. This is called “commercial dog breeding” which is very different from Professional, Personal Dog Breeding. It disgusts me and I would never do business with a puppy mill. How do you know your puppy isn’t coming from a puppy mill? Because you have access to the 24-7 live puppy cameras from the time the puppies are born until they come home with you between 8-9 weeks old. If there are 8 puppies born in a litter then there will always be 8 puppies on the live puppy cam beginning on day 1.
Future fur-baby parents are welcome to visit my home, by appointment, meet the parents and see the loving environment that our parent dogs and their puppies live in. In addition, as mentioned above, should you choose to adopt one of our fur babies, when the puppy from your litter is born, you are given access to a LIVE 24/7 Puppy Cam!
A little about me and why I decided to start breeding puppies after a career in the healthcare industry:
I decided to start breeding Bernedoodles because I fell in love with the breed and I have always wanted to own my own business. I started out in college as a pre-vet student, but my hopes were dashed when I was told by my advisor that he didn’t think I had what it took. Unfortunately, at 17 years old, I didn’t have the guts to say “what the heck do you know about me? I’m staying!” so I switched majors and graduated Summa cum laude with a degree in Psychology and Sociology. After 15 years in the healthcare industry, I decided it was time for a change.
I began this journey in many ways the same way you are starting your journey to find the right breeder and puppy. I traveled around the country visiting potential breeders and, along the way, I was fortunate to find 3 mentors with 35 years each of experience! They helped me tremendously and continue to even to this day! I learned both what I should be doing and what I shouldn’t be doing to produce the best puppies available.
Why Bernedoodles? Well, I instantly fell in love with their teddy bear look, non-shedding coats, the variety of colors/patterns they come in, their intelligence, temperament & loyalty.
While I can’t speak to puppies from other bernedoodle breeders, I can confidently say that
MBD Bernedoodle puppies are healthy, well socialized puppies that don’t go through the crazy hyper phase most doodle/non-doodle puppies go through.
Why? Because we choose the parent dogs, carefully, based on their health and temperament.
Since the time I was in grade school, I knew that one day I would work with dogs because I love dogs so much! I want to share this wonderful Bernedoodle breed with other dog lovers because
Bernedoodles are great for Families, Couples, Senior Citizens, and/or Singles.
They are great company, easy-going, affectionate, smart, loyal and 99% of the puppies coming from here are non-shedding.
Bernedoodles inherit the best traits of both the Poodle and the Bernese Mountain Dog. Poodles are very intelligent, easy to train, energetic, non-shedding. However, poodles can sometimes be high strung especially the mini and toy poodles. We have selected poodles that have calm personalities and thankfully, they have passed this trainer on to their puppies!
For many of our clients, allergies to shedding dogs are an issue. Most Bernedoodles are Non-Shedding!
In general, doodles are considered the best option for most people with allergies. I feel that every responsible person who would like to have a companion dog should have the opportunity to have one, even if they have allergies to shedding dogs. However, I don’t market my doodles as “hypoallergenic” because people can also have allergies to dog dander and/or saliva.
If you would like to join a list for an upcoming litter, please fill out the puppy adoption form or you can also email me, Kim, at Puppyinquiries@mabernedoodles.com. You may also call/text me at 774-452-5567. For the adoption application, please click here.
Coming in 2024…
Coming in 2024…
Mini Goldendoodles! Please click here to learn more!